MUSICAL ARMCHAIR TRAVELS
The aged care industry's passport to quality music-based activities
Introducing Musical Armchair Travels
You are probably wondering what is so special about this armchair travels package, since most working
in lifestyle and activities are very familiar with the various ways in which an
armchair travels session can be conducted.
However, we have developed an armchair travels session with a difference, incorporating the use of music.
We all know music is such a powerful medium. Combine
it with reminiscence and you have two powerful ingredients in the mix, that when skilfully managed in any activity, can impact positively on quality of life for
those living in community or residential aged care, and especially for those living
Armchair travels facilitated with music will trigger memories that can take people on
imaginative journeys and so, during your Musical Armchair Travels sessions, music becomes
a powerful tool to tease out memorable experiences from the participants in
your group. On the enclosed training DVD, Colette demonstrates how she runs her muscal armchair travels session.
Training and session toolkit combined
Musical Armchair Travels is a unique resource combining facilitator training with age-appropriate music and practical session guidelines.
1. A training DVD (48 minutes runtime) for staff which includes:
- Commentary from leading experts in the field of dementia care and creative expressive therapeutic leisure practice.
- Step by step guide to:
- Assessing the needs and preferences of the participants
- Planning the ‘Armchair Travel’ program to suit those needs and preferences
- Conducting the ‘Armchair Travel’ program
- Evaluating the outcome to ensure quality and relevance of future ‘Armchair Travel’ programs.
- Colette Baya - Activities Coordinator. Armchair Travels Program Developer Discover the philosophy behind the Musical Armchair Travels program and watch Colette as she takes you step by step through a full Musical Armchair Travels session.
- Professor Henry Brodaty - Scientia Professor of Ageing and Mental Health, University of NSW. Find out what research says about the benefits of music for sufferers of dementia.
- Dr Heather Hill - Dementia-care Consultant. Discover how music can move people outside the limitations of the nursing home environment and influence their social and emotional atmosphere.
- Ruth Wilson - Diversional Therapist. Learn the four steps of successful documentation. These steps will help you show compliance, evaluate the effectiveness of your Musical Armchair Travels program and improve your practice.
- Michael Mildren - Music Practitioner. Learn why including age-appropriate music in your repertoire of activities is so important.
2. A set
of 6 Armchair Travel sessions based on music (Six music CDs)
- The music on these six CDs will provide countless hours of accompaniment for the Musical Armchair Travels journeys.
- Each presenting music based guidelines focusing on a chosen and popular musical destination.
- All tracks have been carefully chosen and arranged to engage but not agitate or disturb participants.
- The songs are short and each one will help set the scene for a different musical destination.
- While the tracks are not designed for sing-alongs, some participants may want to sing along. The main goal of the music, however, is to evoke fond memories and discussion of travel experiences.
MUSICAL ARMCHAIR TRAVELS is an easy to follow, step by step guide to creating, conducting and evaluating quality musical reminiscence programs for people living in supported aged care.
It can be used as a training aid by:
- staff new to the industry, with limited experience and training or
- experience fully trained practitioners as a refresher or stimulator of new ideas and concepts.
No musical training or aptitude is required to effectively create and conduct these quality Armchair Travel reminiscence programs.
Foreword written by Dame Marie Bashir, former Governor of NSW.
In her writing of the FOREWORD Dame Marie Bashir fully endorses the value of the Musical Armchair Travels resource.
Prototype testing - feedback from Lifestyle Coordinator Leonie Bell:
Read Leonie Bell's review following MUSICAL ARMCHAIR TRAVELS proto-type testing.
From the Publisher:
Graeme acknowledges and thanks the Musical Armchair Travels development team.
your shopping convenience you can now select any one of five currencies
by selecting your desired currency in the shopping cart top right hand
Alternative payment option (Australia Only):